‘Women in Data’ Roundtable with Snowflake: EVENT RECAP
On October 29th, 2020 from 4 – 5:30PM, Strive Consulting partnered with Snowflake to host a ‘Women in Data’ Roundtable discussion with data executives across the Columbus area to discuss women in the the Data & Analytics industry.
The event was hosted and facilitated by Strive’s own Candis Curd where participants engaged in topics ranging from what it means to be a woman in data / technology, to how to go from data to knowledge / insights, and how to successfully implement a data lake (and avoid a data swamp). Snowflake distributed wine packages to every attendee in advance to add a bit of fun to the discussion!
Some key takeaway’s included;
- Women in Data / Technology
- Lead with compassion (not emotion), facts and data.
- It’s sometimes helpful to find a man who can be your ally.
- Innovating Quickly
- Innovate while keeping cost down by paying only for what you need, and make sure your platform is provisioned for innovation.
- Involve your teams in the decision-making for changes, so they can embrace change and help it “stick”.
- Designate change advocates – people who can act as a champion for the changes via word-of-mouth.
- Success Stories
- Have the business take co-ownership of the initiative and simplify the process.
- Tie your initiatives to a business goal – look at the ROI/IRR for the work.
- Deliver value along the way – target small, consistent wins throughout the project.
- Be aware of how machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) impacts / eliminates Executive Buyer job functions – they may see themselves as being less valuable, as a result.
- Use data lakes to convert data into knowledge, and use the knowledge to tell stories and make decisions.
- Make sure to govern data within a data lake (especially to prevent it from becoming a data swamp).
- Remember that it’s helpful to offer self-service and to use data virtualization within a data lake.
- Products are easy, process is harder.
- Mentorship, Sponsorship
- It’s important to have advocates at all levels within your organization.
- Continue to receive advice from your mentors, even as you become a mentor to others, while you progress within your career.
Thousands of customers deploy Snowflake Cloud Data Platform to derive all the insights from all their data by all their business users. Snowflake equips organizations with a single, integrated platform that offers the only data warehouse built for any cloud; instant, secure, and governed access to their entire network of data; and a core architecture to enable many other types of data workloads, such as developing modern data applications. Find out more at Snowflake.com.